A five-goal haul to Ryan Kemp for VAFA side St Kevin’s provided the major highlight from Werribee players in action at local level over the weekend.
Kemp headed the goalkicking tally for the SKOBS as they piled on 14 goals to two after half time against St Bernard’s to run away with a 65-point win at TH King Oval.
Alex Marklew and Brydan Hodgson were the other multiple goal scorers from Werribee’s local-level players, booting two each for their respective Golden Square and Spotswood sides.
Marklew’s Bulldogs scraped home for a 10-point win in their Bendigo Football League clash with Eaglehawk at Wade Street, while Hodgson and fellow Woodsman Baxter Norton enjoyed a 54-point win in the Western Region Football League at the expense of St Albans at McLean Reserve.
Ruckman Darcy Bennett provided the other standout Werribee performance of the weekend with a best-on-ground performance for Geelong Football League side Lara as it chalked up its first win of the year with a 39-point victory over North Shore.
A further 11 Werribee players were in action over the weekend:
• Still in the GFL, Ben McNamara’s St Joseph’s continued its unbeaten start to the year with a 45-point win over Grovedale at Drew Oval, and Keegan Gray’s Bell Park claimed a 25-point win over St Albans at Gordon TAFE Oval.
• Back in the BFL and WRFL respectively, Ryley Barrack’s Kangaroo Flat endured a 76-point loss at the hands of Strathfieldsaye at Dower Park, and Oscar Junker (one goal) and Connor Thar were unable to prevent Werribee Districts from going down to Deer Park by 50 points at Soldiers Reserve.
• In the Ballarat Football League, Scott Carlin’s Lake Wendouree side played out a thrilling draw with Ballarat at Wendouree Reserve, while Nick Stuhldreier was again among Bacchus Marsh’s standouts as the Cobras enjoyed a 38-point win over the Sunbury Lions at Maddingly Park.
• Hamish Murphy’s Avondale Heights enjoyed a 20-point win over Essendon District Football League rival Doutta Stars at Canning Reserve.
• Matthew Brett’s Shepparton ran out a 47-point winner against fellow Goulburn Valley Football League side Tatura at Deakin Reserve.
• Tylar Watts got on the scorer’s sheet and among the votes for Hampden District Football League side Portland, but it wasn’t enough to prevent a 38-point loss to Cobden at Cobden Reserve.
• Kye Declase made a strong return to Northern Football League side Montmorency, booting a goal and finishing in the Magpies’ best as they claimed a 53-point win over Northcote Park at Montmorency Park.